Justify Your Conference Trip
THE MUSE INSPIRE CONFERENCE IS ONE OF THE MOST FORWARD-LOOKING CONFERENCES IN THE INDUSTRY.
A great learning experience and a wonderful opportunity to network, MUSE provides the platform to brainstorm with others, to see new techniques and share best practices. Attendees take home information to integrate into strategic and operational plans for their facilities. The Exhibit Hall provides hands-on product demos, networking galore – whatever your clinical, IT or business role, you’ll find education and opportunity at the International MUSE Conference.
Choose from more than 100 breakout sessions, and hear from industry thought leaders, product experts and MEDITECH representatives.
As many travel and education budgets continue to be slashed, it is even more critical to justify the expense of attending a MUSE event. Although you understand the benefits of attending the conference, your boss may not. You may need to clearly articulate the connection between your organization's knowledge requirements and the conference. We have prepared a letter template to your supervisor to outline why you should attend. Download Letter
Said they met their objective for attending the conference.
Felt the conference was a motivational experience.
Said the overall conference was a great experience.
Return on Investment
MUSE offers educational sessions on various necessary topics for all the MEDITECH platforms. And the most valuable benefit at a conference is usually networking. But how can it all be quantified?
When you propose to attend a conference, don’t focus on how much you want to go; focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as payback for the investment.
Some specific details you will need to identify include:
Expense Guideline Cost
- Session content – What sessions have particular relevance to your organization’s work? Specifically identify systems, technologies, or processes.
- Vendor contacts – Will the conference showcase vendors with technologies you use or are evaluating for potential future use? Is this an opportunity during which you’ll be able to compare competing technologies?
- Best practices – Will there be educational sessions in areas that will immediately benefit your duties or your organization?
- Training – Will there be workshops designed to teach attendees a special skill and/or help your team overcome current or future challenges?
|Registration fee check the MUSE website
|Workshop fee (if applicable) optional; check the MUSE website (when available)
|Flight Use a web travel service for a quick estimate
|Hotel MUSE negotiates preferred rates; check the MUSE website (when available)
|Transportation (if flying) Car rental or taxi to/from the airport
|Transportation (if driving)
Use a web mapping site to calculate distances; 58 cents/mile
(or, for Canada, 58 cents/km)
|Parking MUSE events typically offer free parking
|Airport parking (if applicable)
|Meals MUSE events include most breakfasts, lunches, and breaks; consider your organization’s per diem rate
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned. That way, others at your facility will garner the benefits of your attendance too.
- Share the syllabus and speaker handouts with your colleagues. Most speakers post their presentations to the MUSE website.
- If you are working to obtain or maintain some certification, remind your supervisor that MUSE offers Continuing Nursing Education and Continuing Education Units (for pharmacy) at many events.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending a MUSE event.
- Offer to share a room to reduce hotel expenses.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts. Fees are waived for facility presenters and peer group leaders.
Now your supervisor should have a comprehensive picture in order to decide the value of your proposition. Think like a sales person. Don’t let your ‘customer’ infer the value of what you are selling – make that leap for them.
Sell your conference proposition!
We look forward to seeing you in Washington!